Have you ever had one of those pals, always in your life, but maybe just not every day? Someone you always laugh with, but never make enough time with? I have too many of those to count! Shame on me for not making more time to spend with those few special people. They make me feel good about who I am, and, well, just good, even when life's looking gloomy.
I had lunch with an old pal today. We have been a constant part of each other's lives for, gosh, I guess well over 15 years! I just realized how long we've really known each other. Time has just zoomed past us.
We went to high school together. So, during those days, we saw each other very often. There were classes together, social events together, and we even attended each other's family functions! Then, after a little chance entered the picture, ended up going to the same college. We even lived on the same side of campus in student housing. Throughout college we would "hang out", sometimes a lot, sometimes not.
This has always been unique relationship. I'm not sure why, other than we're both weird in our own ways. We'd ride home from college together; we'd complain about school and relationships; and we'd hang out at weird times walking around campus just talking about life. Then we may not see each other for an extended time, but like any other friendship, once we'd spend a little time together, it was as nothing had changed.
We each moved back to our hometown after college. Nothing changed, we were still each our own weird selves. Once we were out of school, we'd even ride back to college together for events. Time passed, and now, we're in that next phase of life. We spend our day to day lives working, being married (not to each other, obviously), spending time with family, and whatever else 30-somethings "do". Of course, we don't see each other often, but when we do, it almost always starts with a hug, there's time spent laughing, a few complaints, and ends with, "We should do this more often".
It's really comforting sharing a "past" with someone and knowing that no matter what, a "future" with them is just as likely...even if we drive each other crazy sometimes! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment