We miss you guys so much...

We miss you guys so much...
Puppy Pals -- just hanging out together!

Friday, October 17, 2008

October 17

Some how my computer binked and this didn't get posted....then, I avoided the computer all weekend...so here's what I wrote last Friday, but some how did not post.

Today's one of those days. It's a little gloomy here this morning, but I hear the clouds should break and the sun will shine. I'm a little sad. Today's my maternal grandfather's birthday. He's not with us anymore, so it's a little sad. Sad because I miss him, of course. But, I know better! It's also a very good day -- a day we should be eating German Chocolate Cake and Pecan Pie. I think we always had both for his birthday.

I wonder what he would think of the things going on in the world, or the country, or even our own little family. He was no war hero -- he was denied due to a heart condition that would make his life short they said. Well, his life was shorter than I would have liked, but it fulfilled his purpose in life. (He promised he would take care of her until her dying day, and six weeks after that, he went to catch up with her.)

He paid his bills, lived with as little debt as possible and kept those dear, near to him. He was not materialistic, one day I'll share pictures of their home he built with his own hands. He worked hard, three jobs sometimes. He was a worker man, no doubt. Hard work never killed anyone he would tell us. At the dairy, he would open things up and get things started for the day. Then, he would tend his own land and livestock. Then, at night, he was a janitor at one of the local schools.

I, of course, thought they were rich -- I mean, he had all of this land! We lived in the city, in our little house, with our little yard, and our little dog. He had acres and acres, cattle, pigs, chickens, peacocks, and a dog or two! Mom would tell me, that we could only have one dog because they were expensive, needed lots of room and we could not take care of more than one. He had to be rich -- he had all that room and could take care of so many animals! He had his truck and a tractor. They almost always had a Hershey's candy bar or M&M's in the fridge for us. Not to mention my grandmother would keep the cookie jar well stocked when we were coming. Then, I remember going into town and buying soda's. What a treat that was! There was always a RC or Big Red coming my way on a visit to them. My folks never kept those "luxury" items on hand.

What I remember most, is his love of life! He was so much like Daniel. I still think that is what hooked me into Daniel. My grandfather was always laughing, and always so happy. I hope I can hold on to that love of life and feeling of happiness he always gave us. It was always great to see him, and while he never asked for us to come visit, he always thanked us for coming to visit, and said come back to see him anytime. I'm glad I did visit when I could, and would give anything to be able to visit with him again.

2 comments:

Heather said...

What a nice tribute to a man you obviously loved deeply. That's really all we can do when those we love leave this world. Enjoy some German chocolate cake and celebrate the life he had!

Angela said...

Hey I never saw that until now. I know what you mean, just thinking about him makes me smile. God I loved him, I love thinking about all the little tricks he would play on us. Taking away our food w/o us noticing, him surprising us around a corner with his "wah", and pinching our toes with his crutches. Gosh I miss him!